I call this the “jet” sound because when you hold the j-j-j-j-j-j-j-j, it kinda sounds like a jet. Please send in your Surprise Bag with an item that begins with “juh” sound Some ideas are: jewelry, jacket, jacks, jeans, hair gel, toy jeep, giraffe, jaguar, and jelly. Don’t forget, it’s the sound and not the letter that I am focusing on so giraffe and gel count for suggestions. Practice the poem!
- Join- Play ring around the rosie, Join hands.
- Make a chain with strips of paper. Join the circles to make a long and short paper chain.
Books to check out:
- Jamberry-Bruce Degen
- Bread and Jam for Frances- Russell Hoban Jazzbo and Googy-Matt Novak
- Jack and the Beanstalk-variety of authors
- Giraffes Can’t Dance
- Giraffe and a Half
- Three Jellyfish
- John Jacob Jingleheimerschmidt
- Jack and Jill
Activities for Home
- Jelly Roll:Go shopping and pick out a favorite jelly. Spread jelly on a slice of bread. Roll it up and put a toothpick in it so it will not unroll. Slice it if you like, and talk about spirals.
- Make jewelry: Use beads or pasta that can be strung to make necklaces, bracelets, and rings. Talk about where the jewelry goes.
- Do jumping jacks
- Play “jail”. Make a jail cell (throw a blanket over a table and the cell is “under” the table). Pretend you are the police officer and arrest for silly reasons (you’re too cute for humanity, your toes are too stinky). Then reverse roles and have your child decide why you are going to jail. Don’t let them take you unless they give a reason.
- Jars, Jars, and More Jars
Collect jars of different sizes with lids. Have the children practice finding the correct size lid for the jar. Let them practice size comparisons by arranging larger to smaller etc. Practice counting skills as well as matching skill.
- Read Jack and Jill and Jack be Nimble poems
- Look at a map and find Japan-then eat your jelly roll with chopsticks!